Foam Rolling Workshop
with alicia cross
DATE: Sunday, June 11
TIME: 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Foam rolling is a type of self-myofascial release (or self-massage) that eases muscle tension. Painful trigger points or “knots” lead to muscle tension and dysfunction in the body. Often stretching alone is not enough to alleviate the pain, and frequent deep tissue massage may not be practical. Foam rolling allows the practitioner to use his/her own body weight to apply pressure to the knots to facilitate relaxation. This self-care technique can be practiced anytime, at the gym, in the studio, or at home.
In this 2-hour workshop, participants will:
- Learn safe and effective techniques to roll away tension in the body
- Learn how to use the foam roller for deeper stretches
- Gain a better understanding of the anatomy and function of the muscles and insights into the possible causes of pain (repetitive movements, muscular imbalances, poor posture, previous injuries, etc.)
- Receive a foam roller to take home!
Benefits of self-myofascial include:
- Relaxing the nervous system
- Decreasing muscle tension
- Improving circulation
- Increasing flexibility and range of motion
- Enhancing respiratory function
- Improving muscle function
- Reducing muscle soreness
- Decreasing effects of stress and repetitive movements on the body
Foam Rolling is not recommended for women during pregnancy, people with bleeding disorders, blood clots, skin conditions, advanced diabetes, arthritis, and other conditions. If you have any medical conditions, consult your doctor and obtain a release prior to registering for the class.
What to bring: Towel, water, and mat (if you prefer to use your own)
Alicia started teaching Yoga 10 years ago and has worked in the fitness industry for over 15 years. In 2014 she started her own business, Alicia Cross Training, LLC. She is certified in Personal Training, Fitness Nutrition, Wellness Coaching, Thai Massage, and will be completing her 500-hour Yoga Teacher Training in 2017. Alicia combines her years of experience, broad knowledge, and a passion for wellness and fitness to empower others to discover the peace and strength that comes from within.