Why Practice Yoga?
Yoga nourishes the mind, body & soul. Yoga is for everyone, regardless of age, race, gender, size or fitness level. Yoga is an ongoing journey and a discovery of oneself. It helps us to grow physically, mentally, and spiritually.
“If you can breathe, you can do yoga." This is one of my favorite quotes because it is true! The practice of yoga begins with the breath. Mindful breathing is one of the most important aspects of yoga. I’ve seen transformation happen in people’s lives simply by incorporating breathing exercises and mindfulness into their lives!
Yoga is a very accessible practice. A common misconception is that one must be flexible and thin in order to practice yoga. Many miss out on this beneficial practice because of such preconceived ideas. There are many different styles of yoga, so it is possible for anyone to try it. Yoga is a deeply personal practice. It is a practice without judgment of any kind, and without competition. Every pose can be modified to fit a person's specific needs. It doesn’t matter what someone else is able to do, nor does it matter what you used to do 10 years ago! It’s all about honoring where you are in this moment.
Another wonderful thing about yoga is that even a short daily practice will make a positive difference in your life. You can add whatever amount of time that your schedule allows. You can start your day with 10 minutes of yoga, or 30 minutes on your lunch break, or even 20 minutes in the evening before going to sleep. Research shows that a daily practice, even if it is only for 10-15 minutes, is much more beneficial than a long yoga practice just one day a week. Consistency is the key.
The benefits of yoga extend far beyond improving flexibility. Yoga is a mind-body practice that offers a wide-range of health benefits. With regular practice, you will feel a greater sense of well-being. It's never too late to start, and you're never too young or too old to reap the health benefits of yoga.
BENEFITS OF YOGA:
- Increases flexibility
- Strengthens muscles
- Improves endurance
- Improves balance and posture
- Reduces stress and tension
- Improves circulation
- Increases joint range of motion
- Lowers blood pressure
- Increases respiratory efficiency
- Enhances mental focus and concentration
- Improves mood
- Improves quality of sleep
- Provides a sense of calm, peace, and balance
- Improves overall health
GUIDELINES FOR YOGA:
- Listen to your body
- Focus on your breathing
- Modify the postures for your body
- Avoid competition with others
- Let go of judgment and expectations
- Don't expect immediate results
- Focus on the present moment
- Enjoy your journey!
Never, Ever Give Up. Arthur's Inspirational Transformation!
I hope this story will inspire you to try yoga!
RECENT YOGA ARTICLES:
- Studies have been done to show the positive effect of practicing yoga every day.
Learn more: https://www.facebook.com/yogaongaia/videos/10154313773922984/
- Discover how science is proving the benefits of yoga. The Science Behind Yoga: http://upliftconnect.com/the-science-behind-yoga/
- Timothy McCall, author of Yoga as Medicine, has updated his list of medical conditions that are benefited by yoga (as demonstrated by scientific studies). The list now includes 75 conditions! See this link for more details.
- Yoga: Tap into the many health benefits. Click here to read article now!
- Yoga can help people that suffer from depression, anxiety, or PTSD. See this article from Yoga Journal.
- Discover the great benefits of meditation! Putting Meditation Back on the Mat